Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) as Natural Skincare

Olive oil

Dear readers,

Olive oil has been used since ancient times as skincare, be it anti-aging or moisturizing agent. This time, I will write about olive oil usage as skincare, especially for woman who lives in tropical countries (for example : Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.). Why do I write this post specially for woman in tropical countries? Skin type and problems differs greatly for those who lives in 4-seasons countries and those who lives in tropical countries. People who lives in tropical countries tends to have oily skin with larger pores due to warm climate. So, the usage of oil-based skincare, such as olive oil, might be a little bit different.

Olive oil can work as cleanser, moisturizer, and protector of skin. It has vitamin A and E as antioxidant. Vit.E also known for its property as anti-aging and restoring skin elasticity. Olive oil is also packed with other antioxidants such as Hydroxytyrosol, a rare compound that found in olive oil, which will help fights against free radicals.  Another compound, Oleocanthal, also found in olive oil known for its anti-inflamatory effects.



In western countries, olive oil often used as moisturizer. It is said that, olive oil will penetrate deeply into skin, without clogging pores. Olive oil often used as ingredients in many cosmetics, for its moisturizing property. The question is, will it work the same if applied for women in tropical countries?

Actually olive oil is comedogenic. Maybe, ancients westerners can use olive oil as skin moisturizer because their skin are slightly drier. Meanwhile, if we, the tropical people want to apply olive oil directly as skin moisturizer, our pores will be clogged easily. I have tried to use EVOO as moisturizer, and the result is terrifying. My pores were clogged badly, and then it developed into acne. Even when I tried to use manufactured cosmetics containing olive oil, such as serum, cleansing oil, etc., the reaction on my skin was the same.

I have oily-combination skin. I was born and live in a hot and humid country, Indonesia, which makes my skin tends to be more oily. So, it was expected that olive oil will clog my pores. Is that mean we, the tropical women, cannot use olive oil at all? Not really. My current HG skincare is based on olive oil. I don't use commercial products anymore, so, all my skincare are DIY-skincare. I use olive oil as massage oil, cleanser, toner, as well as moisturizer. With just a little bit of adjustment, it doesn't clog my pores anymore. Even when the climate is extremely hot and humid now in Indonesia.

The olive oil I use is the EVOO ones. Any brand will do. In Indonesia we can purchase EVOO easily in any supermarket.
Example of EVOO sold in supermarket

EVOO as cleansing oil and massage oil

I simply use EVOO to remove my makeup. Just rub EVOO on your face, do it gently around your eyes with circular motion. Then cleanse the oil and makeup using damp cotton. After the makeup is removed, pour a little bit of EVOO to your palm and continue with lymphatic drainage massage. There are already many tutorials around the web about lymph drainage massage for face.

After finishing the massage, damp cotton pads with water (I use drinking water instead of tap water), and remove the oil residue from your face, neck, and hands. Do it multiple times, until the cotton looks clean (means that there's no/only a little olive oil residue on your skin). Then, wash your face using water.

EVOO as toner and moisturizer

I make my own toner as well as moisturizer using water, salt, and EVOO. Put 5 drops of EVOO and a tiny bit of salt into small bottle. Then add about 15ml water into it (again, I use drinking water instead of tap water). Shake the bottle until all ingredients are mixed well, the immediately pour into cotton pad. Swipe the cotton pad on your face.

A tiny bit of salt helps the solution become isotonic. Isotonic solution will preserve the water inside a cell, thus the cell's form will be kept the same.

hypotonic, isotonic, and hypertonic solution and their effects on cells
The mixture of olive oil, salt, and water will help pulling any dirt residue from your skin after washing, that's why it is used in swiping motion, not tapping motion. Meanwhile, salt has antibacterial property which will help fights unwanted bacteria. Only a little bit of olive oil will stay on your face, acting as moisturizer. Very simple, and time-saving :)

EVOO as lip balm

My lips are very dried and sensitive. I have tried several lip balms, which only works well for a while, but after sometime my lips will be cracked again. I then switched for a natural resort, olive oil. And it works very well. My lips sometimes cracked until it hurts and bleed. After applying olive oil the cut was healed very fast. So, if you ask what my current HG lip balm is.. My answer is definitely : Olive oil.
---------------------------------------------------------

I don't use commercial skincare anymore, including facial wash. I had bad experience with my previous facial foam, my skin became dried, flaky, and irritated. At first, I tried to reduce the facial foam usage to one time a day, at night. But, my skin still irritated. Then I tried to stop using facial foam, cleansing my face only using conventional cleansing milk, then wash it with water only. But it was a completely wrong move. My skin developed cystic acne due to uncleanliness.

Only after that I tried to use olive oil regime. I only do my daily cleansing routine using olive oil as cleansing oil, remove it using damp cotton pad, then splash my face using water, and finished using my DIY-olive oil toner. Without using facial foam at all. But, my skin got better, no more irritation and no more cystic acne. Using the method I mentioned above, the olive oil also do not clog my pores anymore. All hail the olive oil! :)


With love,

Lynn

Comments

  1. Nice article. Organic skin care product is very essential for skin. One should prefer organic skin care product rather than any different chemical mixed product. By using this type of product our skin can glow naturally & it can reduce skin infection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts